This year’s Barristers Ball held on February 14 on the USS Midway was a major success with over 500 people attending.
“I want to thank all who attended this year's Barristers Ball, said SBA President Milena Celentano. “It was truly rewarding to witness students, faculty, staff and alumni come together and celebrate one another’s accomplishments. The SBA would like to congratulate to the following award winners.”
- 1L Professor of the Year, Professor Julie Cromer young
- 2L Professor of the Year, Professor Marybeth Herald
- 3L Professor of the Year, Professor Anders Kaye
- Adjunct Faculty Member of the Year, Adjunct Professor James Atkins ‘82
- Staff Member of the Year, Faculty Assistant, Jody LaSalle
- Student Organization President of the Year, Business Law Society President, Jeremy Elias (3L)
- SBA Appreciation Award winners Art Director, Sherwin Laranga and Communications Coordinator, Denice Menard
- Lewis and Clark Award for Innovation and Dedication, Professor Luz Herrera
- Thomas Golden Alumnus of the Year Award, The Center for Sports Law & Policy Director, Jeremy Evans ‘11
- Charles T. Bumer Civil Libertarian Award, Tiffany McCloud
“TJSL’s Barristers Ball is something that sets us apart from other Law School’s,” said SBA Public Relations Director Andrew Halbert. “It is so much more than a Law School Prom. It is an opportunity for the entire law school community to come together and celebrate our achievements in a fun and formal setting. It was a great night! We had a sellout crowd and it was great to see all the professors there. A lot of people put in a lot of hard work and it really showed.”
Attendees enjoyed live music and drinks before dinner and a deejay and dancing after the awards ceremony.
“This year’s Barristers Ball was a really great event!” said SBA Social Events Director Michelle Ribaudo. “Everyone that came out helped to celebrate the accomplishments of TJSL’s faculty, staff, students and alumni.”
“The SBA owes the success of the night to all those who helped plan and contribute leading up to the event,” said SBA President Milena Celentano. “A special thank you to Public Relations Director Andrew Halbert, who did a wonderful job as the master of ceremonies. For those of you who were unable to attend, Andrew began the evening by imparting an important message that I would like to reiterate. Andrew stated:”
In preparing for tonight, I was reminded of a Wayne Gretscky quote that I cherry picked from Steve Jobs. I skate to where the puck is going not to where it has been. When change happens and hard decisions are made to go in a particular direction, the easy reaction is to get fixated on where we have been and all the things that went wrong. This creates a longing for how things once were. Rather than dwell on the past let’s look to the future. This mindset isn’t always the easiest. But it’s not as hard as we all might think.
“Please take a moment to watch the Barristers Ball video created by Art Director Sherwin Laranga,” requests SBA President Milena Celentano. “The first shot of Andrew on the podium and then of Professor Golden looking out on the crowd gave me chills. Thank you so much Sherwin for documenting the night.”